Verse of the Day {KJV}

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Adventures in Gluten Free... to be continued

Granted, it isn't the best photo ...and I forgot to take an 'after' photo. 

Today I felt adventurous and attempted to make uh, fat bread. I honestly have no idea what the name is really. I changed it to "Quick Brazil Nut Bread" because I used Brazil nuts. I would love to have used macadamia nuts but alas, they were not be found at the stores I went to. As it is, the Brazils were $5 for a cup! Spendy loaf of bread...

Here are two images I found online of this bread, before baking and after. {They're pinnned to my Food & Drink board at Pinterest.}


My before and after somewhat resemble these but are different, of course. Things never turn out like the pictures! And their's call for macadamia nuts or almonds {or is it both?}.

Here's what I did:

Ingredients: 
5 large eggs
1 cup Brazil nuts, ground in the food processor until 'butter'
1 cup coconut flakes, ground in the food processor until they were fairly fine {but not 'butter' like; I just couldn't get it to do it}
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS lemon juice
1 heaping tsp baking soda

In the processor I dumped the nuts and blended away until there was butter. When it was really smooth, and churning along nicely, I cracked an egg open and dropped it down the chute. I let it churn. Then I did the same with the second egg. Finally, I added the remaining three eggs and just let it mix. Then I dumped in the coconut flakes and salt, and let it blend even longer. {In retrospect, I'd put the coconut flakes in before the eggs since I didn't have coconut butter.} I turned it off and added the lemon juice, then gave it a pulse to mix some. And lastly, in went the baking soda with a last good churn, to make sure it was all mixed. 

I sprayed a glass bread pan with cooking spray and poured my batter into it. I think mine was more liquidy than the others I've seen. The bread baked for 35 minutes at 350*F. I think I would bake it for 40 minutes if I were to make it again. 

It rose about an inch...maybe. It smells like scrambled eggs. Fortunately, it doesn't taste like scrambled eggs! I'm tired of eating gluten free only to have egg-everything take it's place. 


The texture is a little spongey and it's a short loaf. I really can't see this being good for sandwich bread but it's perfect for how I ate it, with fresh peanut butter {grind-your-own from the store}. That photo up there is only the remaining half of the slice, just so you know.

If you're interested, here's the breakdown from Calorie Count, nutrition wise. I figured it can be sliced into 20 small pieces {that's what I'm going to do with it anyway}.


**and totally unrelated to bread.... I *love* Picmonkey!!**

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so how did you make the nutrition label? It is missing the fiber. If it were me I would be wanting to know the net carbs and I can't do that without knowing the fiber content.

    The bread is good without some kind of sweetener? I'd like to try this.

    I clicked on picmonkey, but didn't really check it out. Is that how you did your pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nutrition label was from caloriecount.about.com and I don't know why it didn't count the fiber, it has before, on other recipes.

      And yes, picmonkey is how I make images more awesome :)

      Delete
  2. P.S. I am sure it is named 'fat bread' because of the HUGE fat content.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love them! Have a great day! ~Blossom
PS: all comments are moderated so you won't see it posted immediately :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

social network stuff

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Page Rank
View My Stats