| don't mind the dust bunnies |
While we were away at Co-Op this morning the computer hardware for WYVA came from FedEx. I knew it would require a signature and I also knew we wouldn't be home. Fortunately for me the FedEx guy is really nice and often will sign for me and put my packages in the entry way, out of sight. *But I didn't say that!* It was hilarious that one box was about 9x6x6 or so (totally guessitmating there) and all it had in it was a cord. I'm thinking it was initially forgotten and it was rushed (it said AirMail while the rest were normal).
That brown bit on top of the printer in the photo are two ink cartridges that came with the printer. The kids were excited that it had ink lol. My printer is always out...And the monitor- it is a 19"! My laptop is 17" and we thought it was huge :)
I had to get out the second card table that had been tucked away to make more room in the living room (but honestly it didn't give much- Fox's school desk used to have it's back to the wall and he made sure to take up plenty of room!). I think that the set up is nice. We are able to still use the other card table as we had been; half is Lee's and half is Fox's. They both have those wicker type baskets with their school books and folders.
I will need to get an extension cord with four plugs, at least, because the printer cannot be plugged in at the moment. I still haven't figured out what to do about the internet. I think I will call and have them relocate the modem so that it will be based in the living room. My laptop does have wireless and I do have a router but it doesn't always work- either one.
I was so hoping that Fox's school supplies would have arrived. But it is okay. He is liking the Power-Glide Spanish and would do nothing but that if I'd let him. He had to do a reading assessment (as well as a math assessment but he did that a few days ago) this morning before Co-Op and when it was done he started working on Spanish. Total today for Spanish: 1 1/2 hours. Total for math: 25 minutes.... Lol. Priorities, yep. I am working on getting him to do more of the lessons for his subjects without the books (since we don't have them yet) because he can easily assess out of the lessons. He can easily look at the introduction and if he feels he already has covered the material, he can take the assessment and if he passes, he doesn't have to complete the lesson- but it gets marked as complete because he assessed out.
I'm still figuring everything out :) I'm not any where near as stressed as I was when I first registered him. Also, his teacher has been helpful (and 'human' lol) through kmail. Setting up Fox's computer, Lee was feeling left out but when I mentioned she could still be registered as an eighth grader she wasn't too keen on the suggestion. We have decided (as long as all goes well with k12 for Fox- and myself) that we will go ahead and enroll her for high school. I worry that she will be deficient in areas because I'm not strong in them nor do I have a desire to learn/teach them. I can and do sometimes but really some (like lab sciences- nu uh) are better left to others....imho. Of course, that would still have to be done at home with k12... eh, guess I'm not gettin' out of that part! At least they will have the credits and the experience.
And if it doesn't work- we can go back to Charlotte Mason. :)
And in other news:
The mail did not come to our house today. Quite disappointing since we live for mail lol and there were a stack of outgoing mail. And my Spanish class was canceled due to an ill instructor. It's been a strange day :) My writing class went well-ish. I do have one boy in particular who does not participate the way I would prefer him to. I am hoping by the time the class is over that will change. Perhaps.
That was my Monday so far :) And I'd say that other than 'strange' it's been pretty good :) Hope all yours have been too!
A new computer? WOW! Can I come play?
ReplyDeleteHaha! The computer is a refurbished (not complaining just stating lol) and it is strictly for school. I think they even somehow monitor (or record) the activity on the computer. A bit creepy... but anyway. It will come in sooo handy when both need to be on the computer! We all need a computer!
ReplyDeleteHis books should arrive tomorrow! Yay! He's doing well so far with k12 (still grumbling *sad*). Right now he is making a PowerPoint of his experience with it :)
Congrats on getting stuff set up~it's a big deal to make such changes, I think! :-)) but you all are making it soo well! We are still moving along. Not all is positive, but we are making headway...it has turned into A LOT! My kids are working double time to catch up...I applaud them! You go girl! I can see the wisdom of waiting on your girl, but both my kids have told me the *WISH* I had put them in sooner! Guess there's something to hitting the ground running! HUGS!! I'm thrilled for you all! ;-))
ReplyDelete