VocabAhead- One Thousand SAT Vocabulary Videos & MP3s
- The Entertaining and Effortless Vocabulary Building Solution for SAT Level Words with Easy to Remember Vocabulary Videos & MP3s [DVD-ROM]
Through the Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew I have been able to use VocabAhead's One Thousand SAT Vocabulary Videos and MP3s.
The idea behind Vocab Ahead is to reinforce word learning through videos and audios.
- Building visual connections with vocabulary cartoons and pictures in a fun and engaging way.
- Listening to the narrations on-the-go using your favorite MP3 player.
- Watching Vocabulary Videos on your computer or other portable device such as an iPod, iPhone, or even iPad.
How did we use this?
We treated this in a way as our spelling work for the week. The kids were allowed to open the list of words on the computer and then choose 5 words per day based simply on what they wanted to work on. They watched the videos as they wrote down the word and the definition. By weeks end they had 25 words for their list. Since these were words they themselves chose, I figured they would be more likely to remember them.
What did I like about the DVD/MP3s?
I like that there are over 1000 words (1,179 to be more accurate) that will prepare them for SAT/ACT in the future (one is a bit closer than the other). The videos are amusing at times and the voice of the narrator is clear. It is alphabetically ordered, which makes it easier to find a specific word. In a way it also helps with alphabetizing skills.
This DVD also holds all of the audio files so that if one wanted, they could download them onto their MP3 players. We didn't use it this way.
*and the paperboard used for the packaging is recycled ;)
What I didn't like...
I didn't really care for some of the definitions. I understand that this isn't something that is for young kids but my 11 yo 6th grader was wanting to know what an abortion was after watching one of the videos. Something I didn't like at all. Fortunately, 'abortion' is not on the list of videos. Whether or not my kids were watching these videos, that is one that I would not have liked to have heard myself.
The audio files for MP3 are quite large (some up to 550 KB or more).Bottomline:
This will/would be a big help for those who are preparing to take a SAT/ACT. I will most likely use this in the future. For myself, I can use this and it is quite helpful. I could not find a way to utilize it fully in our school at this time. Your results may vary :)
There are a lot of great extras on the Vocab Ahead website as well. The site can be used in conjunction with the DVD (videos and/or MP3s).
Interested to hear what other Crew members thought about this? Visit the TOS Crew blog.
**Disclaimer: I received a copy of Vocab Ahead's Vocabulary Videos DVD-ROM for free through the TOS Homeschool Crew in exchange for an honest opinion. I was not compensated in any other way. All opinions in this post are my own. See more Disclosure/Policies.**




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love them! Have a great day! ~Blossom
PS: all comments are moderated so you won't see it posted immediately :)