Once a catch-all for our homeschool and everyday family life, now a spot for my meanderings about whatever comes to mind- and always books.
Verse of the Day {KJV}
Saturday, March 19, 2011
The Homeschool Mother's Journal- Week 1 (for me)
In my life this week...
It's not been too terribly exciting. I always start with that... Back up, edit to say: things have gone smoothly and without any great interruptions. I tried to get some freezer cooking done but only managed beans and rice. I have a large turkey thawing to be cut up and ground and I want to make some bread. Perhaps next week.
In our homeschool this week...
We've taken a bit of a break. School did happen just not as planned or as strenuously. Fox had the state testing (PAWS) to do and so I let the rest of school work slide -for both of the kids. The most work was done on Friday and I think it would have equated to fulfilling Tuesday and Wednesday's work. Progress is... progress.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...
Tomorrow afternoon and evening is the Pancake Supper for the 4H. I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I don't plan on eating there but don't want to just drop my kids and run (but I may do just that!). Monday is Co-Op so we will be heading to the 'big town' (haha that's funny) for pretty much the day. We will be leaving insanely early though to take dh to the airport. He has an interview in Erie, PA. Please pray for his safe travels and for the interview to go well. Of course, please pray that God's will be done, not our own.
My favorite thing this week was...
the two times my kids did dishes with no complaints- and all of them. The clean counters and sink just made me smile. A clean house is so nice. I also really really enjoyed the time I spent with Fox on Friday with his math- it was so nice- no struggles. He was open to help and also admitted when he made mistakes. Wish every day were like that. (Not the mistakes! The calm and sweet attitude he had!)
What's working/not working for us...
I think that we are finally getting into a routine with k12 that is working for us. I won't say that changes won't need to be made but it is working for now. There really isn't anything school-wise that is not working for us. I'm looking forward to next school year. Although I won't be putting Fox back into k12, I will miss the Art and Science portions (the hands-on and labs).
In terms of every day life, I am wondering what to do about 'bed times'. The kids are older and so want to stay up later but they cannot seem to get up in the morning at a decent time when I do let them. My hubby and I go to bed by 10pm but some nights the kids are still going and could for another hour. We wouldn't be able to sleep with them up and about though. Lee, although older (and perhaps because she is...), cannot stay up as late as Fox without getting irritable. But how strange would it be to say that she, being older, has to be in bed before her younger brother! I suppose I've never gotten it across to Fox that he is younger and therefore not able to have the same privileges- certainly can't get a permit at the same time as Lee! So that is something for me to work on with them. (They still measure their drinks to make sure it is 'fair'... )
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I've planned out next school year curriculum-wise for both of them but I wonder if Fox will have enough in the area of science, specifically. The way things are going with their schooling right now, I am alright with, no problems really. I'm a bit nervous about it actually. I am feeling so blessed that we were chosen to review an item from TOS Homeschool Crew (Growing Healthy Families) that can be used for Health because I'd been fretting over what to use.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
love this video that my dh made...and he dislikes classical music... what does that say about how he feels about Wyoming?? ...perhaps nothing... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad things are going better for you all~I understand the thing about wondering what to use~in fact, we're going back with K12 and I need to purge out my hsing stuff...and can't find it in myself to let go just yet...Do you have or are you considering Apologia? This is excellent stuff~
ReplyDeleteHave a great week and glad you joined up~
hugs~