Verse of the Day {KJV}

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Christians and Sustainability- What Do We Do? And Does It Matter?

Recently, I've become more interested in living 'greener'. 'Living green' is an almost too used phrase to describe living in a way that is healthier for first ourselves but secondly for the environment. Perhaps 'sustainable living' is more appropriate. But as Christians should the second part of living green, or sustainable, concern us? 

Windmills in WY
I believe this is a controversial topic. There are those who feel that because God will create a new heavens and a new earth (Isaiah 65:17) that we do not need to worry about this earth, now. Granted that does not mean that we should litter (that is against the law of man and therefore is wrong to start with), nor does it mean that we should purposely pollute or trash our world. But do we need to change our lives to be able to care for the environment- even though God will cleanse it according to His Will?

Because of the first part of living sustainably, I believe that yes, we do need to change our lives. God commands for us to treat our bodies as a temple (1 Corinthians 6:19)- to care for it and keep it well (as best as we can). Living 'green' helps in this. As a secondary benefit, it also cares for the environment- and others who inhabit this planet as well. I believe it is a Christian's duty to live a life that is 'green' because it helps to keep God's commandments of taking care of our bodies, for Him, as well as caring for others. We wouldn't go out of our way to pour chemicals on a neighbors yard, or in their water supply. Why would we use such things in our houses or everyday living that will in effect do just that? 

When we use chemicals (to kill weeds, bugs, whiten our clothes, etc) they seep into the water supply. The water ends up on our neighbors lawn and/or in their water supply that they ingest. And not just our neighbors. The water on this planet is recycled constantly. The process allows water from New York City, New York, to fall in Nigeria, Africa. The water from Australia can make it to Anchorage, Alaska. And the chemicals that are used in those locations go with the rain. The water is filtered in a sense- but not thoroughly- and the residual chemicals are dropped onto our 'neighbors'.

Or how about plastic? Plastic never goes away! Never. It is a man-made product revered for its long life. However, it is causing serious problems with the earth and the inhabitants. I don't just mean animals (although the first problem can be seen readily when looking at the animals). Plastic is in our water and our food- in our bodies. There are food-grade plastics that are 'safe' for us. But really, plastic is not safe.

So that leads to the question: What do we do and does it really matter?  

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I agree that we do need to take care of what we are blessed with regardless if there be will be "new". You know I try to become more enviromental friendly, but it can be overwhelming. I am just trying small steps and I know God knows my heart.

    Interesting Post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought: “shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth" Rev 11:18 (KJV)”

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chrissy~ Totally understand the 'overwhelming' part of it! I actually can see how this could become an obsession. Definitely not what I think God wants us to do. But when we do what we can, when we can- and for the right reasons- that I think is what He is looking for.

    @ Linda~ Thank you for including that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just my 2 cents worth...

    I think it is all about stewardship. We should be good stewards of what God provides. From our bodies to our finances to our world. We were made to tend the earth, not trash it.

    Being "green" happens naturally if we are striving to be good stewards and living a thoughtful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tell my boys that the earth is our gift from God and not to be afraid of things they hear on TV. I also make sure that they realize that while we should enjoy it, we also need to be good stewards, and protect it, and all of creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Lorie~ Very good points. Stewardship is what started me thinking about whether this was something I should be concerned with, as a Christian.

    @ OViaLD (Catherine)~ TV is downright scary! And extremely exaggerated. Imho. I think isn't wise to listen to all that we hear from the tv but to be aware enough to be able have a viewpoint that is defendable (saying "I saw it on tv" won't cut it!).

    Thanks, ladies, for contributing your opinion/comments to this. I've been thinking on it for a while now- and probably will for quite a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love them! Have a great day! ~Blossom
PS: all comments are moderated so you won't see it posted immediately :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

social network stuff

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Page Rank
View My Stats