Verse of the Day {KJV}

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jay Em, Wyoming, Historic Town


The homeschoolers of Goshen County took a field trip to Jay Em, Wyoming. It is about 40 miles from where we live. Driving there, I was confused at my directions and turned myself around...twice. It was a bit amusing to me because it is a straight stretch between Torrington and Jay Em! Eh, well, that's me... directionally challenged!
Anyway, here are some photos I took while there.
First up is the Frog House. Our lady tour guides told us that when they were younger this little house had been built (for what purpose escapes me now) but they thought at the time that it was only big enough for a frog to live in! So they called it the Frog House.

We got to the tour a little late and missed the first building but the second was the hardware store. Here's a picture of a Kretschmer Wheat Germ jar from long ago! This is the same brand I buy today, but the jar is smaller and looks every so slightly different. Perhaps my grandma used to buy this kind, too.
There's a photo my mom took of her Kretschmer Wheat Germ! For comparative purposes :)

In the hardware store they have some interesting things. One side is full of newspapers, old photos, and odds-&-ends like calendars. A lot of calendars.






The other side has the store part where they now have many of the same things that would have been in the store when it was open. Like underwear, hose, and pencils!










And here is a blueprint of the small town. The population now may be 20 but for years it has been 14. There is one girl in town that was the only child for years up until a year or so ago when a new family moved in with children. It must have been difficult for her! Jay Em is about 30 miles from Lingle and I am sure that is where she would have gone to school. The hazards of a small town :)

There are many neat things in the buildings but I think I will just go ahead and post some random pictures. Unfortunately some I can't recall what building they are in! There are 7 buildings that the tour goes through.









There are a few more pictures on my SD card but I think that'll do for now. I've ended with a wonderful picture, don't you think? Chocolate...mmm, still a favorite!

5 comments:

  1. What a neat trip! I love your random pics.
    Blossom, you saved my 'blogger life', ha ha ha
    First you told me how to make the button, it was a challenge, for some reason I kept messing it up, but I got it. And thanks once more for adding my new button.
    And I was in distress because Chrissy, no ordinary me, deleted her blog, and now she is back and you are right, she has my button! Wow, these little things are a WORLD to me (and, ahem, my vanity). Seriously, I truly value your friendship even if it's just through the blogs.
    Hugs,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for chocolate. I was just thinking that at one time the box actually looked 'fresh' as the milk that the chocolate was made with! :) I love these kinds of things... history. SO interesting.

    you must tell your boys how impressed I am that they made a drawing!!

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it looks like it was a neat trip! So that is why you asked about it! Hey that wheat germ is the kind I buy also and it looks quite a bit different today. It's still red though... LOL
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/smwon/Forum/05-21-10002.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put the photo in the post to compare the two. You can see the jar to the right of the older jar; it is a gallon. The Kretschmer isn't quite a gallon jar but quite a bit bigger than we get today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love them! Have a great day! ~Blossom
PS: all comments are moderated so you won't see it posted immediately :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

social network stuff

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Page Rank
View My Stats