Verse of the Day {KJV}

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six

I do not have children under six years of age but this list is very interesting to me. I have read a few books -not many- on what to expect from children by certain ages. You know the ones, "your child should walk between the ages of 8 months and 1 year." Or something like that. Anyway, I read some of those type books when I had my first child but after that I just said, eh, what happens happens. But as I've been trying to learn and understand the Charlotte Mason way of teaching/learning I've been reading more of what she says children should be able to do by certain ages, school-wise. Granted, I'm not into the each child is going to do the same things, the same way, or learn the same thing at the same time. We do not have cookie-cutter children. Wouldn't that be a bit spooky?


The list that follows was taken from Ambleside Online Yr0 page. I have left the little notes that were added by Karen Andreola.

"A Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six"

A reprint of a curriculum outline from a CM school in the 1890's. from Summer 93 Parents Review pub by Karen Andreola

1. To recite, beautifully, 6 easy poems and hymns
2. to recite, perfectly and beautifully, a parable and a psalm
3. to add and subtract numbers up to 10, with dominoes or counters
4. to read--what and how much, will depend on what we are told of the child
5. to copy in print-hand from a book
6. to know the points of the compass with relation to their own home, where the sun rises and sets, and the way the wind blows
7. to describe the boundaries of their own home
8. to describe any lake, river, pond, island etc. within easy reach
9. to tell quite accurately (however shortly) 3 stories from Bible history, 3 from early English, and 3 from early Roman history (my note here, we may want to substitute early American for early English!)
10. to be able to describe 3 walks and 3 views
11. to mount in a scrap book a dozen common wildflowers, with leaves (one every week); to name these, describe them in their own words, and say where they found them.
12. to do the same with leaves and flowers of 6 forest trees
13. to know 6 birds by song, colour and shape
14. to send in certain Kindergarten or other handiwork, as directed
15. to tell three stories about their own "pets"--rabbit, dog or cat.
16. to name 20 common objects in French, and say a dozen little sentences
17. to sing one hymn, one French song, and one English song
18. to keep a caterpillar and tell the life-story of a butterfly from his own observations.


As I read through this list, I noted somethings that yes, my own children (ages 10 and 13) could/can do but some of them they cannot do. It doesn't worry me in the sense that they are delayed. It just shows me some things that we need to work on. My own children can tell you, quite easily things that they read in books but we are a bit *modesty is always good right?* short on the nature part. Nor can we (I do include myself in that 'we') sing or recite anything in any language besides English.


Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

2 comments:

  1. oooh. we're not here yet either, though I have higher hopes for my children who are still under 6... you know, the stuff their older siblings know and/or are learning rubs off on them by default!

    I have decided lately, that I'd like to schedule some of these things in though... we shall see :)

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I have a lot to do in the next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love them! Have a great day! ~Blossom
PS: all comments are moderated so you won't see it posted immediately :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

social network stuff

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Page Rank
View My Stats